Resources for helping teachers implement The 12 Touchstones of Good Teaching, every day.
Educational research has shown that every student is able to succeed when provided with the right environment, appropriate instruction and effective coaching.
Decades of research have illuminated a myriad of theories, techniques and strategies to better facilitate student's learning and understanding as well as foster their ability to apply that knowledge in the real world.
The authors of The 12 Touchstones of Good Teaching have managed to distill those countless hours of research into three imperatives that underlie effective teaching. Then, unpacked those principles to reveal the 12 things to do every day in the classroom to ensure adherence to proven methodology and greatly improve the success of students.
How to use this site:
- Below are the three basic guiding principles (imperatives) of effective teaching.
- Press the button under any one to see the four touchstones associated with that imperative.
- You can navigate to any page using the buttons found at the top and bottom of each page.
- (do not use the drop down menu or the footer bar at the bottom for navigation)
- On the page for each imperative you will find:
- Some quotes from the book followed by -
- A brief summary of "what it looks like" to effectively apply each touchstone.
- Some links to resources to help understand and apply each touchstone.
- Finally a brief evidence-based explanation of why each touchstone is important.
- There is also a forum where you can share your own ideas and impressions!
- An example lesson plan and a reflection on delivering that plan are included on the forum page.
The three imperatives
Articulate and maintain
high expectations for learning.
Provide a nurturing learning environment.
Know why you're doing what you're doing.